Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Thai Temptation...

Lots going on this week...which means I've missed blogging for a few days. I promise I will do a great Fab 5 tomorrow - it may even be a Fab 10! I'll get you caught up on yesterday's cooking class today - as I have those photos ready to go! The rest will have to wait as I'm volunteering in Caleb's class this afternoon for a math project they're working on!

So "Thai Temptation" was the title of yesterday's cooking class. I have no experience with That cuisine...so I was really excited to see what flavor profiles we would be working with. The menu included Thai Basil Chicken Phyllo Roll-ups, Lemongrass Roasted Chicken with a Thai Peanut Cabbage Salad and for dessert Tub Tim Grob.


Class was full so we were partnered up again. I was happy to see Heidi from last week's class...so she and I partnered up.

Some of the ingredients - along with our fearless leader, Christine

We started by marinading our chicken the Lemongrass Roasted Chicken. Thankfully, Christine and Candy had done a lot of prep the day before...so all of our lemongrass was ready to go! The marinade was light and smelled "fresh" - citrus undertones with some soy sauce and lots of herbs. 

Lemongrass Chicken - marinade and pan seared before going into the oven

Next we began working on the Thai Basil Chicken Phyllo Rollups...by far my favorite dish of the day. Minced chicken, thai basil, garlic, soy sauce, glass noodles, onions, coriander, and lots of yummy things. It would be very easy to use the filling for lettuce cups or as an addition to fried rice. And who doesn't like phyllo dough?! While it's a pain in the ass to work with at times, as long as you work quickly, it makes a great looking roll.

Filling in various stages

Rollups before and after cooking

Christine then demonstrated the dessert...Tub Tim Grob. I'd never heard of this dessert, but was told it's also known as Red Rubies and found on most Thai restaurants menus. It's fresh water chestnuts that have been cubed and dyed red, then sifted through tapioca starch - which is then boiled to create a jelly surrounding the water chestnut. It is served with a jackfruit over a coconut milk granita/ice cream. Here's a pic I found on the 'net:


Many of us had not had this dessert and were really unsure about it - so she made us a sample!



While I really liked the flavor, I can't ever imagine making this dessert at home. Peeling all the water chestnuts and then coating them multiple times in tapioca starch and blah, blah, blah. I'll be honest, I did not even bother making the dessert yesterday as class was running long. But, my partner, Heidi, was happy to take my share home - as this was the sole reason she came to class. I worked on the Thai Peanut Cabbage Salad while Heidi did dessert! 

Loved this salad! It had a peanut butter/soy sauce dressing on it! AMAZING!

And here are some photos of the final dishes!

Thai Basil Phyllo Roll-ups

Lemongrass Roasted Chicken on a bed of Black Rice served with That Peanut Cabbage Salad

Class was once again a big hit with Blaine! Most of it was off limits to Grayson due to the peanuts, but he didn't mind. I told him I would make it up to him next week..."Cupcakes Galore" is the class!

And. just wanted to share this sign that hangs in our cooking class area:


So go out there and get after it!

No comments:

Post a Comment