Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Sun and fun??!!

I'm a little behind - so I'll try and get caught up!

Monday night we went to Ferringhi Gardens for dinner. Several people had recommended it to us - so we decided to give it a try! Let's just say that the restaurant itself is stunning...green plants and orchids everywhere!..



Dinner was also delicious and well-plated - lots of edible flowers on the plates and just presented in a manner that made you want to take a pic!

Grilled bread with tomato sauce for the boys and crab cakes for us!
Look at the presentation on those crab cakes! The mango-pineapple-passion fruit salsa was yummy!

Blaine and I both had surf and turf for our main course. (Lobster thermidor and a filet mignon! Tough life!) The thermidor was incredibly rich...cheese and cream galore. I started picking out the chunks of lobster because I knew I could never finish it all.

Surf & Turf

And then, the boys had been so good that we couldn't deny them dessert! Although, I don't think you could've stopped Blaine from ordering creme brulee as it is his all time favorite! Caleb and I decided we would share a brownie sundae and Grayson had strawberry ice cream.

Desserts

When we left it was really raining again - so that put our plans to see the night market on hold. I think we'll try and go tonight!

Yesterday brought us plenty of sunshine! Yahoo! Blaine was working a half day - so the boys and I hit the beach and the pool.



Blaine was home by 1 p.m and then we were scheduled to take a boat ride to the turtle sanctuary and to monkey beach and to do some fishing. Well, it wasn't exactly the afternoon excursion we had envisioned. We paid way too much for this boat ride but, I'm trying not to dwell on that! (Let's consider it my rather large charitable donation to the local economy!)

The boat captain was taking us to the turtle sanctuary first. I had checked on the hours of operation and we had plenty of time. I was so excited for the boys to hold tiny sea turtles and learn about the conservation efforts being made.



So we get to the sanctuary and the water is still really choppy. Alas, we all make it ashore - even though I fell into the ocean! Yes, completely soaked from head to toe! Ah, let the fun times on this trip continue!


We made our way up to the area where the sanctuary is located. But, the place was all closed up! Not a soul around! Thankfully, I did see one turtle!

Yup, that's the ONLY turtle I saw!

Okay...we make our way back to the beach to get back on the boat and the waves are awful! Let's just say the captain had to carry my children to the boat and basically heave them up and on board. Blaine and I made it - and I immediately cracked a beer! Ugh!

Then we headed off to monkey beach...where I saw two monkeys wandering around and a bunch of folks who had set up little huts selling various touristy junk! (All I could think of was trips to Cancun and some of the excursions we went on there!) The captain asked if we wanted to go fishing - so we said yes!

My little fishermen

Grayson with a catfish the captain helped him catch


After the a short time of fishing, Blaine and I said "Take us back." We knew we could make happy hour if we hurried! Hahaha! Oh, well! All that matters is that the boys thought it was fun...even though we thought it was  a colossal disaster!

We went back poolside for a bit - the boys swam and we hung out at the swim-up bar with some fabulously drunk Australians who were just hilarious! And a man and woman from Iran - who happened to be in the aquaculture business. (Blaine later learned that the man will be the next minister of agriculture for Iran. I think he would've gone with Blaine today to visit the tilapia farm if it hasn't been such a long drive.)

We grabbed a quick dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe. Big, ol' juicy burgers and beer! Delicious!!



Grayson bought this Lemur at the Hard Rock Shop. 
It plays Motley Crue's "Shout At The Devil" - I swear it does!

We ended the evening poolside as they were showing a movie and letting the kids float around and watch it. It was a gorgeous night...and the kids had a blast.

Doesn't get much better than this?!?





No comments:

Post a Comment