Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Caleb's New Accent and Another Cooking Class...

One of the greatest things about living in Malaysia is the people we have met so far - people from all over the world. My kids have definitely benefited from this experience. They attend a school with an American curriculum, but the school is definitely international. There are over 50 countries represented at their school - and they have made many friends. 

Recently I noticed that Caleb has developed an accent. I can only imagine this is due to the great number of accents he hears on a daily basis at school. I can hear his new found accent when he says words like "class" or "after" or "pass" - it's all about the "a" sound which has now become an "ah" sound. I find it hilarious and rather cute - and I should've expected it. He quickly used to pick up some "Okieisms" when we would go to visit his grandma and grandpa that would stay with him for weeks upon returning to Iowa. Anyways, I hope he can translate this into making himself a better French student...maybe he has a little bit of his mommy's love of foreign languages.

Yesterday, was another cooking class at B.I.G. - "Spices, Rubs, and Marinades" was the title. We did a chicken dish with lemon juice, marjoram and oregano. We did some beef short ribs with a great dry rub on them. The dessert was grilled pineapple with coconut creme and pomegranate seeds and the side was a grilled Caesar salad. I took the meats and pineapple home so we could grill them fresh rather than roasting in the oven. It worked beautifully and we had a yummy dinner!

Full class yesterday!!

Chicken before

Chicken after

Beef short ribs

Pineapple before

Pineapple after

Romaine being pan seared

Finished Caesar salad

Other than that, the kids are getting ready to trick-or-treat this evening. I'm just praying it doesn't rain! We have a ton of candy thanks to my parents and their awesome package from the States! (I'll be putting a couple of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups aside for myself!) And, I've got to say I love Google's Halloween Witch today. Love that the different combinations in her brew create new images! Be sure to check it out!




No comments:

Post a Comment