Thursday, October 10, 2013

Friday Top 10...

You've got to love a week that's been so good you have to up Fab 5 Friday to a Top 10 list! So let's get to it - in no particular order!!!

1.) Cross country meet and breakfast with Rob, Magdalena, and Eric. Caleb had a cross-country meet last Sunday - which had the whole family up and at it at 5:45 a.m. It was great! Loved seeing him out there with his friends...having fun!


While at the meet we met Magdalena and Rob, parents to Eric (who is in Caleb's class). Had some good conversation with them while there and they asked if we would like to go out to breakfast with them! Sure! We all met at Plan B in Publika and had a really enjoyable breakfast - just a nice spur of the moment encounter with some great people.

2.) My foodie children. I'm raising foodies. Yes, Caleb and Grayson are joining the foodie ranks. This week Grayson brought home a cookbook from the school library, and, of course, we had to prepare something from it. And you all know about his terrible mocha addiction? (I wonder who he gets that from?!?)

Grayson's cookbook

And let's not forget Caleb! Caleb is working on poetry in his class currently. This was his free verse poem:

I am a baseball player
I am a food lover
I am Steve from Minecraft
I am an athlete
I am a family lover

Now, they're also both becoming food critics - at restaurants, of the cafeteria, even of me! The conversations and comments are amusing:

"I really think this could use a bit more sauce. It's dry." 
(Yes, this was about the bbq chicken this week - and I did not find it humorous at the time.)
"What kind of herbs are in this? I hope it's not basil - to me that just taste likes leaves."
"This is scrumptious! Just the right amount of cheese. Is that a sharp cheddar?"
(Hearing this from my 7 year old just makes me giggle!)

We may watch a little too much Top Chef/Master Chef/Iron Chef at our house! It may be time to turn Sponge Bob back on! (No...I can't believe I even said that! I'll keep letting them critique my food and the food of others if it saves me from Sponge Bob!?)

3.) Batu Caves. Yeah...this just has to make the list this week! Climbing the stairs to the temple set in the caves and seeing all the monkeys! Definite highlight!

The stairs up

Monkeys!

4.) Package from home. This week we were lucky enough to receive a package from friends in Iowa - chocked full of goodness! SWEDISH FISH!!! SWEDISH FISH!!! SWEDISH FISH!!! And lots of love for all of us ! Cards with awesome messages! And a new Pandora camel charm for me! It's a long story about the significance of the camel - and unless you were in a car with us - traveling through Kentucky where a young girl swears she saw a camel - it's just won't be funny to you! But let's just say that Hump Day has never been the same since!

So much stuff!

Happy Hump Day!

5.) Fall break. Fall break is fast approaching...and I'm ready for a little time away. We're heading to Penang - right here in Malaysia - to stay at The Hard Rock Hotel. The kids are excited! I'm excited! We're all excited! Bring on the pool, spa, and adult beverages!

6.) Volunteering in Caleb's class. This week I had a chance to volunteer in Caleb's class for a math project they were working on involving money and shopping at a pretend store. Shopping!?!? Yup, I'm your mom! The kids were great! Lots of fun to see them coming up with the items they would sell in their stores and then to see them shopping at the various pretend stores and figuring out how they would wisely (or not so wisely) spend their money!

Time for some math!

7.) Salva Dut. Last night I had to the chance to attend a dinner for Salva Dut. For those of you who are not familiar with him, he is one of the "Lost Boys of Sudan" and his story was told in Linda Sue Park's book, "A Long Walk to Water." Last evening there was dinner and benefit for his charity, Water for South Sudan, held at The Bee. While the evening was enjoyable and it was inspirational to hear his story and learn what he has accomplished after such hardships, the impact he has had on the children of our school is far more important. My sons came home with a wealth of information and concerns about why there is a lack of water, why children don't have the chance to attend school, and questions as to what they could do to help. Good global citizens they will become - I'm sure of it! (And, if you'd like to read more about Salva's story and charity work head here!)

Trang auctioneering

Salva speaking to the group

Susan chatting with Salva

Meeting the guest of honor

8.) Friends here in Malaysia. It's been a week of making new friends and continuing to cultivate the friendships I have here in Malaysia. I'm thankful for great conversation, lots of laughs, hugs, and high fives! It has made the move much easier than you can ever know - and it is truly appreciated!



9.) Spring break is booked. So, Blaine is in tax jail after the first of the year. He needs to spend 180 days in Malaysia (for tax purposes) before we can head back to the States...so we're not going to some far-off, exotic destination for spring break - so he can do his time in Malaysia. (Sorry kids...Disney Hong Kong will have to wait!) BUT, I think I found us some place fun - where we'll all be happy. We'll be heading to Club Med here in Malaysia at Cherating Beach, Kuantan. Once again, rest and relaxation on the beach with free-flowing cocktails and a kids club...how bad can it be?

Club Med Cherating Beach

10.) Cooking class. Once again, B.I.G.'s cooking class makes the list! I love the classes over there and the people I meet. I ran into Heidi again this week, and Donna, whom I met at the very first class I took there. The classes are always fun, offer quality instruction and great ingredients!


Okay peeps! There it is! There were probably five additional highlights I could've added to the list! But, 10 is enough! Hope you all had a great week wherever you are!



No comments:

Post a Comment