Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Weekend...

Okay...first let me start by saying: IT HAPPENED!!! I walked into San Francisco Coffee this morning and the cashier said, "Mo' Mocha today, ma'am?" And while I could've done without the "ma'am" - YES! I have achieved "regular" status! Let's give it up for San Francisco Coffee!!


And you have to love today's napkin: I don't mind if you use me

Okay...so let's catch you up on the weekend. Saturday afternoon was spent baking apple pies for some of our neighbors who have made us feel so welcome. Blaine and I banged out 4 apple caramel oatmeal pies that day. Two of them I was extremely happy with - and two of them, not so much. We kept one for ourselves and when I tasted it in the evening, I noticed a smoky taste to it - which was due to spillage in the oven that created some major smoke during the baking of the second two pies. Aaarrrrgggghhhh! (I'm known for my pies - have won several contests with my apple pies - so this really made me mad!) Blaine said it wasn't terrible, but I was disappointed. So...I decided to drown my sorrows in some citrus moscato sangria. It was amazing!!!


The pies


The start of the sangria - See my Pinterest for the recipe

Sunday was a pretty busy day! We headed back over to 1 Utama that morning to grab waffles and pancakes at Waffle World. (My kids L-O-V-E breakfast...and were dying to try this place when they saw it last week.) I had a pecan waffle and some fresh squeezed orange juice while everyone else opted for pancakes. (They missed out!)


Yup, that's ice cream on the waffle. (No worries...only ate half of it!)

Then it was a quick trip over to the batting cages. We bought the membership - as I can see we will be spending lots of time here and the boys got ready for 30 minutes in the cage. All I can say is that if Caleb was hitting during his last baseball season like he was hitting here in KL, he would've had a stellar season. Last season he was super frustrated with his hitting, but I think putting on a few pounds and working on his stance has done wonders!


Caleb and Grayson

And, we bought a Garmin navi for me! Now, if you know me well enough, you know I have no sense of direction. NONE! I could easily get lost getting to the backyard. (Okay...that's an exaggeration...but truly not much of one!) So I now have real freedom to try and make my way around KL.


Yay for a Garmin!

We then decided that we would give the boys their first real taste of Chinatown. We all know that Blaine loves to haggle...he loves the art of making the deal...that's why he always negotiates for cars or any other major purchases...so I was going to leave all the deal making in his capable hands. We had a few items that we needed to pick up for some friends in the states...so off we went.


Chinatown here in KL is located on Petaling Street.


Blaine negotiating for some "Rolex" watches


It's very crowded here in Chinatown.
The kids with their new watches.
Where we negotiated for "Louis Vuitton" purses.


My little shoppers

There are all sorts of knock-offs here - watches, purses, sneakers, pirated DVDs, t-shirts, hats, lots of yummy Chinese food, tons of tourists and locals alike. We did have fun. The kids got some t-shirts and we picked up a few gifts...just a good time.

Dinner last night brought us over to a new place in Sri Hartamas called "SOULed Out." It was recommended to us by a friend here and she did not steer us wrong. The place was hopping - even though it was a major downpour. But, we managed to get a table outside under the cover of a tent and had a fabulous dinner. 


From 5-7 everyday they have BMW Happy Hours. Beer, mojitos and wine - 10RM. Score! 


My dining companions for the evening


Dinner is served! Pepperoni pizza for Caleb and cheese pizza for Grayson. Blaine and I each had a ceasar salad and then we shared some calamari and some Cantonese wontons. Delicious!

Thankfully, by the time we were ready to leave, it had stopped raining. We loaded up and headed home. While we were stopped at a light, Blaine snapped this picture of the king's palace here in Malaysia. (It is very close to our home and while I know very little about the royalty here in Malaysia - Grayson, who is taking Malaysian Studies in school, promptly told me that I am never to wear yellow when I go to the palace. No worries, Grayson. I don't expect them to be asking me over for dinner any time soon!)


Which brings me to the evening "funny." We were listening to the radio on the way home and what song comes on? La Macarena. The kids had no idea about this song, so this is how Blaine explains it:

"Kids, this song was Gangnam Style when I was in school."

So there you have it. When you're working with your children on their SAT prep...old is to new as La Macarena is to Gangnam Style.

2 comments:

  1. Caleb has a good stance. If he is facing fast pitches then he might want to choke up on the bat (which most kids don't like to do!). Grayson gets the award for outstanding posture...but for hitting could bend his knees a tad and not keep the bat so straight up and down. Gotta remind those boys that Uncle Jared was an all star back in his day! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be sure to pass on your words of baseball wisdom, Uncle Jared!!!

    ReplyDelete