Friday, August 30, 2013

Happy Merdeka Day...

Today is Merdeka Day in Malaysia...celebrating Malaysia's independence from British rule. Flags are flying everywhere and there should be lots of fireworks tonight.


This was outside of San Francisco Coffee

I've joined two gyms here in KL - Crossfit Vidatha and Fitness First. When I joined Fitness First I received 6 free personal training sessions - which I didn't really care about. (I know how to kick my own ass when I'm so inclined.) But, I did finally get a session scheduled with my trainer...Suresh - scheduled for 9 a.m. this morning. I arrived and introduced myself - and really appreciated the fact that he did all his 50 questions while I was working out. (I did not want to spend 30 minutes doing the par-q and stuff). It was a good workout...I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. We worked with the ViPR...which was fun and functional.



These are ViPRs and seem to be all the rage in the clubs over here.

And then...I got to box! Gloves on - hitting! So fun! I think I may look for a boxing gym around here because that was a good time! Who knew hitting and kicking someone would be so much fun! But, there is something about making contact that just made me want to do it again!

Took the boys - all three of them for haircuts. Now, my kids (and husband) don't require a fancy salon...set the clippers on a 1 or 2 and have at it. So we found a place over at Publika (Big surprise!) that cuts hair for 15 RM. (For those doing the math - that's about $5 USD.) Woot! Woot!


Nothing like a fresh haircut

OH! I wanted to share a few funny things that Blaine and I have noticed! Here's the first one:


McDonald's VIP and KFC CEO - Chicken Employment Officer! Hilarious!

We now live in a country where you can get VIP stickers for McDonald's and other fast food establishments. We asked Elizabeth what these stickers were all about. She told us these are for frequent drive-thru customers and allow them discounts or promotions through out the year. (In America I don't think there is enough plastic to print the stickers if they give them out to "frequent" customers!)

The other thing we've been laughing about is that native Malaysians who speak English have this tendency to add "la" or "lah" to the end of their sentences when speaking English. (Think "eh" in Canada.") So you'll hear:

"Would you like to get dinner, lah?" or "Grab some coffee, la?"

So Blaine and I have been adding it to our sentences - and only when we're being very inappropriate.

"Hurry the fu*k up, lah!"  or "What the hell was that, la?!" or "Can you fu*kin' believe that, lah?"

We probably should stop this - as I'm sure is will come back to bite us in the ass, lah!





No comments:

Post a Comment