Thursday, August 22, 2013

Grouchy and grumpy...

So the last 24 hours have been horrible. The entire group of us seems to be in a bad mood. (Hence, my Facebook post about not having nearly enough Absolut. But, at $40 a bottle...I need to ration that a bit more.) Caleb came home from school yesterday and we were working on his homework and he was super snappy. When I asked what was up...TEARS. Once again, he said no one would let him play soccer at recess with them. I felt horrible. We have a couple of good days - then we have a bad day. To top it off, he lost his second water bottle in the last 10 days - and I'd already expressed my displeasure about this. (I know lost water bottles are not the end of the world...it was just adding to my grumpy mood. And guess what?! His bus driver had it for him when he got on the bus this morning!)

Grayson and Caleb - First Day of School 2013
Mont Kiara International School

Then there's Grayson. He misplaced his lunchbox. (Again, not a big deal...I know this.) So, I emailed his teacher because he thought he knew where he left it and asked if he could run down and get it early in the morning. She responded nicely and said no problem. BUT...she would like me to come in next week and "chat" about Grayson so she can help him be more successful. Yup, the teacher in me knows that's code for: he's weak in a few areas. I knew his handwriting was an issue. (The kids in his class all have EXTREMELY neat printing skills - and Gray's - well, not so much.) And, I'm going to say that for the last two years I've not been thrilled with Grayson's teachers - especially last year, but, I'm trying to move on. I'm half a world away and that teacher is no longer relevant. So, let's see what the current teacher has to say about my little man and what we can do to help get him on track. (Blaine says I'm overthinking her email...he didn't read it that way...but the teacher in me thinks I'm dead on. I bet dollars to donuts that my teacher friends would agree with me!)

(And, the lunchbox was found this morning in the courtyard at school - in case you were worried. I'm really surprised that a monkey didn't take it as he never finishes his lunch and 9 times out of 10 he leaves a piece of fruit in it!)

And then, there was me. Just in a bad mood. I'm bored. I'm without a vehicle. I miss my friends and family. I paid $34 for two packages of bacon and some salami. What else can I say?! I'm downright bitchy at the moment...



So...I'm currently writing to you from San Francisco Coffee...


Mainly because I need a change of scenery. (It's rainy here today and I'm all caught up on "True Blood" so it's time to get out of the house.)

I snapped a few photos as I was coming over to Publika for coffee. (I think Kristi - my photographer friend - wanted some more photos of life here in KL - so I will work hard to post more photos of the everyday things - buildings, people, scenery!)


This is the main entrance to Publika - where we come for just about everything - groceries, Crossfit, restaurants, coffee, manis and pedis. If they only had a movie theater it would be just about perfect!


This is an additional picture of Publika and a partial view of the street we cross to get there. (The traffic lights were working this morning! Bonus!)


This is a view in the distance of the Petronas Towers. (The two identical buildings in the distance.) You can read more about them here: http://www.petronastwintowers.com.my/


Just another shot from the Publika side of the street.

Anyways...I will try and take more pictures. Tomorrow we're heading to West Port to do some community service work. We will be helping to pack 20,000 meals for people in need. It will be good for us all to get out of our heads and not think about all of our first world problems and really do something meaningful.

And a big thank you to all who are reading my blog and drop me notes or leave me Facebook messages! It really helps when I'm missing all of you...like right now as I'm crying here in the coffee shop and the Malaysians seated near me think I'm one crazy American woman!


7 comments:

  1. Heads up buttercup! And I thought 4.89 for 1lb of bacon was crazy yesterday at HyVee! Love your blog and the pictures. I want to see more monkeys. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll work on the monkeys! Trust me - we want to see more monkeys!

      Delete
  2. Keep your head up Robin!!! It will all work out just give it sometime. I have always wondered what it would be like to havr a housekeeper, I agree it would be weird to have her around at all times but its dsfenately a bonus to have help with the laundry!! I would almost die for that as I did about 12 loads of laundry yesterday!! Love reading your posts and bummed that your son isnt here playing baseball! Carsen my younger one made the team this year and we may have had a chance to play together but it sounds like their baseball experience will be way cooler (is that a word)!!! Have an awesome day and watch ouy for thosd mopeds those dudes are crazy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! And a big congrats to Carsen - wish we were still around to play a little more Trojans ball! Will miss playing in that organization!

      Delete
  3. Evidently BASE jumping is quite the activity on some of those towers over there...saw it on tv this week. Hope Gray is not getting in trouble at school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read that, too! I was reading about some guy who has essentially been denied access to Malaysia so that he will never base jump here again! (And yeah...Little Man has been staying out of trouble at school! Thankfully!)

      Delete
  4. Oh Robin! I remember this feeling well when we were in South Korea. I actually took 3 trains (for a total of an hour, tears the entire time) to get to an "Irish" restaurant which served import beer and fries. I tried a "hamburger", which wasn't the same, but in all the trip made me feel better. It is an amazing amount of change, and give yourself some time to cry and spend $100 on shipping some import food and drink! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete