Sunday, August 25, 2013

Weekend Fun...

Why do the weekends always seem to go by so fast? Sunday night – with all it brings (think packing lunches and food prep for the week) – is just a drag!!

But, it was a great weekend! The boys had baseball practice Saturday afternoon. And, while I didn’t go (I was home waiting for our beer delivery - important stuff, you know!), Blaine said they each had a good practice. We still don’t have enough kids to field a 10U team, but Trang is helping Blaine get a notice in the school bulletin – so, hopefully, that will help.

Oh! Someone asked about my Facebook post and the need for a bottomless Diet Coke – which should not seem like such a strange request when you go out to a restaurant. BUT, most restaurants serve Coke Light by the CAN – so when I can find a place with fountain soda – I take full advantage of it! Hence, why we had to hit Tony Roma’s for a late lunch on Saturday.


Saturday night was a relaxing evening at home. Everyone was tired from getting up early to go pack meals and no one had the energy to do much of anything. Fine by me! I watched “Pitch Perfect” and “Rock of Ages” on HBO - AND….booked our fall break trip to Penang. Woot! Woot! We’ll be staying at the Hard Rock Hotel in Penang. I’m pretty excited. Blaine will be able to work for a few days while there and then we can relax for a few more. We’ll do some site seeing and enjoy the beach and pool. We’ve heard good things from some of our local friends, so we’re looking forward to it.



This is a night view of the Hard Rock Hotel in Penang

You can read more about Penang by clicking here: http://www.tourismpenang.net.my/

Sunday morning rolled around and we decided we’d go explore 1 Utama – another shopping mall. (I swear that the Malaysians love to shop more than anyone I know!)


Just a big, ol' beautiful mall...with every store under the sun!

We had intentions of taking the kids to see “Planes”, but, I misread the movie schedule and the first English showing of the day was at 2:30 p.m. (Seeing the Malay version would not have made the kiddos happy and I’m sure they would not have appreciated my unscripted translations!) Since the time didn't work, we decided to bowl. Now, I’m not a big bowler, but I will say we had fun with the kids. And it was SUPER CHEAP! For about $13 USD we all bowled one game and rented shoes. (Yes, that’s $13 for all 4 of us.)

Happy Boys!


Can someone please create attractive bowling shoes?!?

After bowling, we went to find the batting cages that are here at the mall. No sweat…head on up to the roof and there they are. We ran into the kids’ coach, Coach Rob, who was there with his son. Chatted with him a few minutes – learned about the discount card you can buy for the cages – and told the kids we’d bring them back next weekend. (We were totally unprepared for the cages – no gear, no bats, the kids were in flip flops – so it will have to be next weekend.)


As we were leaving 1 Utama, we saw Big Apple Donuts. On Friday night, our neighbors had told us about this donut shop…so we couldn’t pass up buying a half dozen. The flavors are AMAZING! Very different, very gourmet. And the donuts are just visually stunning!


This is where my Nutella donut came from (if you happened to catch my Facebook photo)


After the mall, we just came home and had a lazy Sunday afternoon. The boys played with friends and Blaine and I got caught up on “The Next Food Network Star” and “Top Chef Masters.” (Don’t judge! I haven’t watched an episode of RHOOC since I’ve got here – so a little reality t.v. won't kill me!) Sunday night brought the importation of Thai food from Zap Zap and the Blackburn family was ready to kick off another week.

2 comments:

  1. Now why cant we get a donut store like that around here!!! Those look amazing. I love that the boys are wearing american and new york shirts!!! How does that go over there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many people from so many different countries living here that I don't think anyone pays attention that they're wearing "American" stuff. We see lots of Malaysians in Yankees things or items from other teams...

    ReplyDelete