Monday, August 19, 2013

Cooking class...

Blaine was working from home today as we had several people coming to the house and his computer is giving him major fits. So we went over to the gym in our neighbourhood for a quick workout. Then, it was time for coffee over at Publika.
 
I laughed because Blaine says this is how he pictures our life in retirement. Working out together, coffee together, then I go to cooking class or get my nails done and he heads out for a round of golf. (No golf for him today, but I got the picture!)

And yes, today was cooking class for me. In an attempt to stay busy, I signed up for this class last week that was posted on the B.I.G. Facebook page. As I love to cook, I figured what the hell! They hold several classes each month. Whatever! I'll try anything and cook anything. This is where class was held:

 
We were partnered up today as there were 7 in the class and there are 4 work stations. My partner was Lisa and she was very nice.  Chef Li (who owns her own local catering company) was our instructor today and Christine (who works for B.I.G.) assisted. Today's menu was Parmesan Basil Chicken with Rustic Bread, Salmon Salsa Verde with Zucchini Lemon Couscous, and Fudgy Brownies with "Quick" Chocolate Ice Cream (which was used to top the brownies!). Class was very hands on...the only thing we didn't cook personally was the couscous.
 
 
This is Chef Li working on the couscous.
 
 
The finished salmon with salsa verde.
 

Okay...here's the best thing: You bring home enough to feed your entire family and then some. I have a nice piece of salmon, lots of parmesan basil chicken, a large container of couscous and an 8x8 pan of brownies! SCORE!!
 
When I got home, Blaine and I ran to a few of the local grocery stores - as I've learned you need to hit them all in order to get everything your little munchkins want! (Think chocolate chip granola bars and little containers of applesauce and Capri Sun drinks!) And then Blaine and Elizabeth went to this store where they supposedly sold discount beer and soda/pop. Blaine said the store was frightening, and sold out of Tiger and Diet Coke today, but that the prices were better and he'd go back! He did score a case of Sprite for Caleb - so that did work out!
 
And, by then the kids were home from school and it was time for homework! Both boys are going to do Saturday morning soccer - which means we'll be doubling up on Saturday with soccer and baseball! YES! Tire those kiddos out!
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment