Saturday, September 7, 2013

Patience is more than a virtue...

I have a guest blogger today. Yes, Blaine is going to take a stab at blogging...mainly because my day was pretty boring...Crossfit, lunch, groceries, baseball practice, dinner. So let me turn it over to Blaine...

*******************************************************************************

We have been in Kuala Lumpur for a little over a month now.  As we were preparing to come over here, I was told multiple times that this would be a life changing experience, growth opportunity, and that I would learn many things about myself.  So far, in the past month, I have discovered that patience is more than a virtue here, but it is truly a way of life!!!

For those of you who know me, you know that it is not one of my strong points.  I like what I want, when I want it, and most of that time that means now.  Oh how that little piece of my character is being challenged to its utmost over the past 30 days. 



Everything in Malaysia moves on "island time" as Robin calls it.  People go about doing their thing in their own time, and if that happens to coincide with yours, well good, and if not, too bad.  And I can already tell you, that losing your mind, slapping the counter, and raising your voice does no good.  Most of the locals just look at you with this confused look that says I have no idea why this stark raving lunatic is doing what he's doing.

Here are a few of things that I have found thus far that require a shift in my patience paradigm:
- It's OK to have a dinner for four come out at four different times over the course of 20 minutes or so (mine is always last)
- It's OK to have your call or email answered 2-3 days after you send it, even though the person has walked by you 5 times per day each day
- It's OK for it to take you 3 hours to get home when its raining when your normal commute usually take 1.
- It's OK for the waiter to tell you "no have today" for half the items on the menu
- It's OK to take the opposite direction on an on ramp if you miss your exit
- It's OK to clean your patio off at 6:30 AM each Saturday with your 3HP gas leaf blower with the gas tank strapped onto your back
- It's OK to just park your car in the street, I don't mean on the side, I mean right in the middle of the lane (Oh, and double parking that's for kids, we triple park here)
- It's OK to have to ask for your check every time you're out for a meal (or they never bring it)
- It's OK to have an appointment to come to your house at 11AM and show up at 4PM, after being texted at 10:45 to say that you will be here at 11AM.
- It's OK to tailgate and flash your lights at the guy in the hammer lane until he gets over
- It's OK for someone to recognize how overweight you are and pat your tummy

and finally

- It's OK for you to stare at me, my wife, and/or my kids for an extended period of time (yes, even after you have been caught)

The only place in Malaysia that I have found that you don't have to be patient (and better not be patient) is on the road.  These people drive like maniacs!  It's kind of like the autobahn meets the defensive driving course meets demolition derby.  I am scared at how I will drive when I leave this country. In just 30 days I have become "that guy" that cuts across 3 lanes of traffic when I enter the highway to get into the outside lane, races through the toll gate and never stops to look at the other 15 lanes that are merging back into 2, and red lights are merely a suggestion.

All in all though, this place with all of its laid back, easy-come easy-go mentality, is pretty awesome, as long as you are willing to be patient and love their way, because your way doesn't work!!!

1 comment:

  1. This made me laugh. I am sure that the patience you are learning will make you a better person when you return... but I am glad it's you and not me :)

    ReplyDelete