Friday, September 27, 2013

Friday Was All About The Food...

It was another busy Friday - including a coffee date with Blaine, a class at B.I.G., an easy workout at Fitness First, dinner with the family and dessert back at B.I.G. See what I mean...all about the food.

Blaine had a meeting yesterday with all the McDonald's folks as they work on this chicken deal. I know there are a lot of players involved and while they didn't finalize anything yesterday, he felt it went pretty well. Lucky for me, when he has a meeting here in K.L. - he usually works from home in the morning. So we snuck over to Publika for coffee date.

Then, I was off to cooking class. This time it was entitled "Cooking with Beer." They had me at the title!


I'll admit that I like to drink beer more than cook with beer, but I did like the things we were cooking: Cheddar Beer Bread, Fish and Chips with Mushy Peas (Oh, so British!) and Stout Cupcakes.

A sampling of the beers we would use

Christine was once again our fearless leader. I will say I wasn't too worried about this class as I felt fairly comfortable with what we were cooking. We started with the Cheddar Beer Bread...which got some great additions to it - ham, red pepper, jalapenos, onions, and garlic! I did not cut into my loaf until this morning - when I grilled it with some butter - and it was fabulous!

The before and after

The Stout Cupcakes were next. A fairly easy dessert to make today. Christine did show us how to core out the cupcakes and we added in a Nutella and Courvoisier filling. The quote of the day came from Christine as she was making the filling: "I believe my people here are quite alcoholics." She was correct! In addition to the Guiness and the Courvoisier, the cupcakes were topped with a Bailey's frosting.

Sinful!

The fish and chips with mushy peas came next. Christine did the mushy peas for us as we were running short on time and we took charge of the fish. We used red snapper today - and I made mine closer to fish sticks to speed up the cooking time and maybe see if my kids would try them. (No luck on the kids trying!)

Mushy Peas

Our fish and the makings of homemade tartar sauce

We never got our chips done as the frying takes a bit long to get through. No big deal...we still had enough food for a small army!

The final meal

I quickly ran home and hopped in the car to head to Fitness First. I had time to bang out an hour on the elliptical before picking Caleb up at cross country practice. My back is much better - but I was not going to push it with a strenuous workout - just wanted to ease back into things.

After picking Caleb up we headed back over to Publika for a quick dinner at The Social. I had not eaten all day except for a few bites during cooking class, so I was glad for an early dinner. We also had a plan to hit up dessert at B.I.G. that night!

Dessert Storm with Mabel Cheah

B.I.G. has a pop-up dessert place in it right now called Dessert Storm. And, it is run by the fabulous pastry chef (and fellow Crossfitter) - Mabel Cheah. I met Mabel a few weeks back at Crossfit Vidatha and I've been meaning to get over to Dessert Storm to try her infamous KLonuts. (Think Cronuts - but in K.L.) You can read more about Mabel and her KLonuts here!

Mabel suprised us by sending over some wonderful peanut butter and chocolate creation. Wow! Rich and very decadent!

Simply delicious!

And then came the star attraction - KLonuts! Caleb had seen a picture of them on Facebook this week and was dying to try them! (Okay...twist your mommy's arm!) We ordered 3 of the peanut butter/caramel and one of the lemon meringue! 

A little bit about the KLonut

Peanut Butter Caramel KLonut

The Lemon Meringue KLonut
(Sorry for the half-eaten picture! The KLonuts come hot and they were hard to resist!)

We all LOVED the KLonuts!!! The kids are already asking when we can go back again! We will definitely have to hit Dessert Storm again (okay maybe a couple of times) before the little pop-up closes and something new comes to B.I.G.

Like I said...all about the food!

No comments:

Post a Comment