Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Bounce Back Book...

I love to read. Always have, always will. I remember when Oprah first mentioned the Kindle on her show and talked about how this was the greatest and easiest way to get books. (This little tech junkie was all over it! Books and some cool technology - I'm on it!) And now, I'll admit - I currently own two Kindles. And they are chocked full of books...some I've read, some I can't wait to read, some I'll probably never read.

But, last night I was looking on the shelf of the true books that actually made it here to Malaysia.( I don't buy too many paper versions of books anymore - except cookbooks - those have to be the paper version.) Anyways, a handful of books made it to KL with us - I'm assuming they were tucked away in a drawer somewhere and just got packed along with whatever else was around. In the dozen or so books on the shelf was one entitled, "The Bounce Back Book: How To Thrive In The Face Of Adversity, Setbacks, and Losses." Inside the book was a card from a dear friend who had given it to me. And, I started reading it again.


I'm sure that my move to Malaysia isn't exactly what this book was going for when it mentions "adversity, setbacks, and losses" on its cover, but a lot of those same emotions came with this move. The "loss" of friends and family...mainly due to the great distance we are from these wonderful people. And, our entire family has faced a little "adversity" with the move - whether it's the challenges of our new culture, the making of friends, the leaving of friends, coming into a new work environment - there are lots of little adversities to tackle. Lastly, "setbacks." For me it's on a professional level. I left behind a relatively new job that I loved...

The book offers 75 tips and assignments for helping someone to bounce back! And, no, I'm not going to go through all 75 with you, but I thought I'd share a couple of my favorites!

Tip #10: Happiness is a choice, not just a matter of genes or good luck.

I love this one! And, after my Friday meltdown a couple of weeks ago, I've lived by this! The assignment portion of this book says to add more "ing" to your life. For example: cooking, reading, exercising - anything that makes you happy. And that's what I've been doing. My days are starting to fill up with these things and when I'm busy, I'm much happier.

Tip #23: Go with the flow.

Not an easy one for me. The planner in me likes some structure. But, in this laid back culture we're living in, I find I need to follow this tip a little more. So, I'm working on it.

Tip #32: Think of life as a gigantic ice cream parlor with infinite flavors to taste.

Yup, this little portion of the world has lots to offer us and I'm working to take full advantage of this. Travel - both in Malaysia and to neighboring countries - is now my primary focus. I spend lots of time researching where we should go and what we should see. I've been asking all the new people I'm meeting for their suggestions. I'm going to make sure we experience as much as we can because who knows if we'll ever have this opportunity again.

And finally...

Tip #70: View change as chance.

I've totally embraced this...and I think my kids have, too. This is a chance for all of us to do the things we want to do. Cooking classes? Check. Crossfit? Check. Kids want to try soccer? Check. Travel? Check and check. There are lots of opportunities for all of us here...we just need to seek them out.

Okay...I'm off to put a little more "ing" in my life! Exercising! And, tomorrow we're off on our first little adventure to Melaka/Malacca! The blog should return on Monday or Tuesday next week! Go out and do some "ing" things yourself! Choose a little happiness this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment