Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Reasons, Seasons and Lifetime...

Yesterday I received a message that my college roommate had passed away. She died of leukemia. This was not a message I was expecting.

When you receive a message like this, you can't help but reminisce about the "good, ol' days." She and I met our freshman year when we pledged the same sorority. Our senior year, 6 of us shared a house together. It was a wonderful 4 years of friendship.

But, when we graduated, we went our separate ways. I never heard from her after about 6 months. Really, I hardly heard about her in the years since graduation.

Until yesterday.

And then I could not help but think about an article regarding ex-pat friendships - which really applies to all friendships. It said that friendships are for reasons, seasons or a lifetime. Aren't all friendships?

Kendall, that was her name, started as a friend for a reason - the sorority. This friendship then turned into seasons...4 wonderful seasons, but it was wasn't meant to be a lifetime.

I think her death made me realize the importance of each of these three kinds of friendships. They are all treasured in different ways.

Kendall, you were a treasured friend. May you rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment