Saturday, March 1, 2014

Water rationing...

It hasn't really rained here in Kuala Lumpur in weeks...probably months. I know it's been at least since before Christmas. The reservoirs have reached a critical low and Friday night we were informed about the newest water rationing initiative. For the month of March we will have two days where water is turned on and two days where water is turned off.

The note from our property management group

Now, it's not exactly two days. You have 41 hours with water and 55 hours without water. So our water is being turned off in 30 minutes and I won't have it back until 4 p.m. on Tuesday. Now, is this really a super hardship? No. Is it a pain in the ass? Yes. Can we do our part to help? Sure! Do we need to do some adjusting? Yes. (But, not as much as some of the people who live in our neighbourhood. I'll get to them in a minute.)

I've explained to the kids about short showers and making sure they turn off the water while brushing their teeth. We've talked about using paper plates and cups temporarily since we hand wash our dishes. (Yeah...all you people who want to harp on me about how paper plates are wasteful and bad for the environment can just save it right now. Trust me, the water shortage is bad for the environment.) Last night I explained to Elizabeth that we would not be washing clothes until Wednesday morning this week and that she would have to stop watering the outside plants. (I think this just about broke her heart as she loves the plants. I won't be surprised if she gives them some water on the days when it's turned on and I'm not looking.) We'll definitely be doing our part to help conserve. (I "practiced" taking a short shower last night and this morning. I will admit this is going to be a struggle.)

Now, as for some of my neighbors - and I'll be honest - most of the guilty parties I don't know by name - but, please stop having your help (driver or maid or whoever) wash your cars! There are people in our neighbourhood who have their help wash their cars EVERY day! CRAZY!!! I think I've washed my car once since we moved here. My friend Shannon said she went and asked a driver in her part of the neighbourhood to stop washing a car yesterday due to the water shortage. (GO SHANNON! Her kids were pretty sure he was going to continue washing it after they left, but at least she tried.) Like I said on one of my Facebook groups, I don't want to see someone who has a car cleaner than I am for the month of March. (Some condos and neighborhoods have stated that there is to be no car washing, our neighbourhood did not take it that far. I wish they had.)

So...we're buckling down. I would not recommend this as the ideal time to come visit me in Kuala Lumpur. Water rationing is not fun in a city where the daily temperature is in the 90's. There's nothing more relaxing than a long, cool shower...which won't be happening.

But, this is my motto for the month of March:


And no, I don't mix my vodka with water...I'm a pineapple/orange juice kind of girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment