Monday, March 3, 2014

Water and Haze...

Water returns today at 4 p.m.!!! Woohoo! It looks like if we are really careful with our water, we can make it the 55 hours with what's in our tank. We're all showered and teeth are brushed and we're no worse for the wear. And in my effort to conserve water, I haven't been cooking. (Just doing my part - saving water and supporting the local economy.)Tonight I will start laundry as soon as I can and we'll finish it up tomorrow in preparation for it being turned off on Thursday morning again. If you ever thought that ex-pat life was all glamour and fun, think again.

To add to the fun, the haze has rolled back into Kuala Lumpur. Indonesia is once again burning land/forests in preparation for expanding their palm oil fields. Air quality in parts of Malaysia has now reached unhealthy levels, although we're still in the "moderate" level here in KL. You can read about it here. People are advising us to buy air masks, etc. but I just can't bring myself to do it. (I've been known to mock those people wearing the masks. And yes, that was prior to me living here. And yes, I know people have respiratory issues that require the mask.  And yes, I'm sure I'll go to hell for making fun! And yes, I'm sure I'll be changing my tune soon enough if the haze continues.)

Well, as I type, I've received a notice that we've now moved into the "unhealthy" air quality territory. Here's the letter we just received from school:
 
Dear Parents and Community,
 
In light of our recent "Haze" conditions, I wanted to remind all of us of our  contingency plan that we do have in place with regards to "Haze" and the safety and welfare of our students.  Please be reminded that today is a "Yellow" flag day with the API Index this morning at 6:00 am reading at 110.  We will continue to monitor throughout the day.
 
M’KIS Response to “the Haze”
 
The air quality in Malaysia is described in terms of Air Pollutant Index (API).  The API system employed in Malaysia closely follows the Pollutant Standard Index (PSI) developed by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (US-EPA).  During “Haze” conditions, we monitor the Air Pollutant Index at least twice a day and update our daily regimen, as required, based on the monitoring process.
 
The Air Pollutant Index scale and terms used in describing the air quality levels are as follows:
 
API Scale                   Air Quality
0-50                             Good
51-100                       Moderate
101-200                     Unhealthy
201-300                     Very Unhealthy
301 and above          Hazardous
 
Based on the API, a Haze Contingency Plan is in place at M’KIS, is a designed plan to govern student activity, for that particular day, based on the demonstrated API level.
 
API 101-200-Limited Activity Day-Yellow Flag
·      Limitations are placed on the vigorous exertion expected of children
·      A yellow flag is placed at the entrance of the school 
API 201-300-No Activity Day-Red Flag
·      Students are not engaged in outdoor activities
·      A red flag is placed at the entrance o f the school to designate a No Activity Day
Unless and until the Malaysian Ministry of Education or other relevant Ministry determines otherwise, it is anticipated that the school will NOT close as a result of API readings.  Since school will remain open (unless there is a mandated closure by the Malaysian Ministry of Education or other relevant Ministry), parents must make their own determination as to the safety of the environment for their children.
 
Our intent is to monitor and act accordingly so as to create a balance between health/safety and the delivery of the ongoing-academic program of the school.  Please note that such monitoring may lead to a decision to change the designation of the day (Limited Activity; No Activity) as atmospheric conditions evolve.
 
If you have further questions or question, please do not hesitate to contact your Principal. 


Okay...I guess I'm off to the hardware store to buy some masks! (Try not to laugh too hard at me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment