Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Quiet and WOD Talk...

I am currently reading "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking."
I'm only about a quarter of the way through the book, but I have to say I find it fascinating. I am an introvert. I know some people will not believe this, but it is true. An introvert is not necessarily a shy person. An introvert is a person who is energized by being alone and whose energy is drained by being around other people. That could not be more true with me. I cherish my quiet time and really try to avoid big groups. I prefer one-on-one or small group meet-ups. It's not to say I can't do the big group thing, I can. But, my preference is a more intimate setting.

The beginning of the book has an interesting quiz you can take to see where you fall on the scale of being an introvert. You can find the quiz by clicking here. I took the quiz and answered true to 17 out of 20. Yes, definitely high on the introvert scale.

One of the questions I found interesting on the quiz was: "I often prefer to express myself in writing." Yup, for sure. Text message, blog, email...you name it, I would much rather write it than verbalize it.

Since we moved, my writing has increased by an amount that I can not measure. Blogging was one of the ways I started to express myself and then came the good fortune of writing for WOD Talk magazine. In fact, my 2nd article was published today. It's an extremely personal article to me and while I found it very easy to write, it was very difficult for me to send it in. You might remember me talking about this article a few weeks back...it sat in my "Draft" folder for a while before I hit send to mail it to Heather at WOD Talk.

Thankfully, the feedback has been so overwhelmingly positive. Heather loved it. And, since it went live this morning, I've received many messages, texts, and emails from friends and strangers who could totally relate to what I wrote. Many felt it applied to more than just CrossFit...it applied to life in general.

If you'd like to give it a read, you can click here.


So, I'd love your feedback on the introvert quiz or the new WOD Talk article or both. Where do you fall on the introvert scale? Can you see yourself in the article? Has anybody read "Quiet"? Thoughts?


1 comment:

  1. I totally scored 17/20 on the introvert test too! Being alone or in intimate groups is what refreshes me. Going out? Exhausting. :) I can do it, but I definitely need to go home afterwards and have some quiet time.

    ReplyDelete