Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Party Sweets Cooking Class...

Okay...to be honest the only reason I took my latest cooking class was to learn how to make creme brulee (Blaine's favorite dessert) and to use the blow torch while doing it! (Yeah...insert your Beavis and Butthead fire jokes here!)

Four items on the menu this past Monday: gingerbread cookies, mini tarte tatins, chocolate mousse, and creme brulee. Yummy!

We started with the gingerbread dough as it is a double resting dough. You make the dough and chill it. Then you cut out your figures and chill them again - so that they will better hold their shape. Class ran long that day - so I decided I would just take my dough home. Now, if I could only find my damn cookie cutters life would be good!

Gingerbread cookies

Next we started the creme brulee as they take a while in the oven to set up. The recipe is very simple and I'm thrilled to say that - I'M GETTING MY OWN TORCH!! Merry Christmas to me! Christine is heading to her restaurant supply store and volunteered to pick it up for me - along with some melting chocolate and piping bags! Yes, the torch will be mine!!! I'm thinking Christmas Eve creme brulee - since Blaine didn't get to try any of this week's creations! (Yup...it's long gone! Sorry honey!)

Torching dessert!

Mini tarte tatins were next. These were also simple...we used puff pastry and they were a snap to throw together. Make a quick caramel, slightly cook your apples, top with puff pastry and bake for a few minutes. I'm thinking I'll try doing a big one next in my cast iron skillet...

Celine flipping the tartes over! 

Finally, we did some chocolate mousse. Not a hard dessert and the flavor was good - not overly sweet!


Class was a success - and the kids were on a major sugar high Monday night! Whoa! Caleb and Grayson will actually be taking their first classes with Christine this weekend...we have a gingerbread house class on Saturday morning and a gingerbread man class on Sunday. That should help to put us in the holiday mood! And you know what makes it even better? None of the mess in my kitchen!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment