Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Holiday Spirit...

So...I'm kind of in denial that it's mid-November. By mid-November I usually have a significant amount of Christmas shopping done, I'm thinking about decorating the house for the holiday season, and planning what deliciousness we'll be cooking.

Yeah, none of that has happened. It's sunny...hot...humid...I'm dressed in a tank top and shorts and flip flops...

Yup...flip flops

And I haven't given much thought to Christmas.

But, signs of Christmas are popping up all over the place! Christmas music is playing in certain stores...even my favorite coffee shop has a tree up and decorated.

Oh, Christmas Tree...Oh, Christmas Tree...

Now, trust me...I'm not complaining about the warm weather, but...it's just weird. There's no other way to describe it. I've always lived in places with four seasons...here, the weather doesn't change. And, the weather is having a definite effect on my holiday preparedness and spirit.

Last night, we did chat with the boys for a few minutes about what they would like for Christmas. First off, Grayson has some serious concerns that our Elf on the Shelf, Troy, will make it to Kuala Lumpur. He said, "Mom, we should've left Troy a note so he'd know where we are!" (No worries, young child! Troy made it to Kuala Lumpur. He's currently buried in a closet (probably suffocating!). And, he'll make his triumphant return once we return from Singapore.) Then, the discussion quickly turned to what they would like from Santa - because they had no worries that the jolly, old fat man knew where they were located. I loved Caleb's response. He listed a couple of items...nothing too outrageous. He asked for some money (once again...not surprised) and then he asked that we all "just have a good time in Bali." At 9 years old, he just "gets it." He understands that it's not about the amount of presents...or even the particular presents. He gets that we are here for a finite period of time and that Santa is helping to bring the gift of travel and new experiences to him. Even Grayson was on board with the whole thing...although I believe he asked for a few more presents than his big brother did! (What did you expect!?)

So...it's time for me to find my holiday spirit! Time to do a little Christmas shopping! Time to figure out when the tree will go up! Time to figure out Christmas meals. (The kids are insisting on pizza for Christmas Eve...a tradition we have had for as long as they have been able to eat pizza! But, Christmas Day may find us going out! That will be a change!) Time to stop letting the warm weather keep me from my love of this time of year!


No comments:

Post a Comment