Thursday, May 28, 2015

Fab 5 Friday...

Well, this edition of the Fab 5 is coming to you a little later than normal. It's not being written at San Francisco Coffee. In fact, I'm contemplating opening a beer as I type this. But, that will probably wait a few more hours.

I will just get this out of the way and say: 15 DAYS UNTIL WE HEAD BACK TO THE STATES!! Woohoo! Yay! Yippee! Hooray! I'm ready!

Okay...so I was struggling this morning to see if I could actually come up with a Fab 5. It's not that it's been a bad week...it's just not been a "normal" week. But, as I sat having lunch with Blaine today, I knew I had 5 things ready for you! So here we go!

1. Teachers, Kids and Parents. So I spent three hours this morning helping Grayson's 3rd grade class turn their fairy tales into iMovies. For those of you who wonder if there is really serious learning going on the last few weeks of school, please be assured that there is - at least at the 3rd grade level. These kids have been working hard to write their own fairy tales, create their own pictures to accompany the fairy tale and then convert the story and images into an iMovie with their very own voice being recorded and music at the beginning and the end. I'm going to say that this is an ambitious project - especially at the end of the year when we're all burned out - parents, teachers and kids. But, you would be truly amazed at the quality of the work they have done! AMAZED! They are impressive!



And, I'm going to give a special round of applause to Grayson who quickly mastered iMovie and then acted as a student helper today with me. He really was fantastic at helping his classmates. He took the time to explain what students needed to do, worked to help them when they were stuck, and assisted in adding music and finalizing movies. I left at lunch time today, but I think the class was close to finishing and Grayson had already told his teacher that he was more than happy to help the rest of the kids finish their projects.

2. Book Club. We started an online book club this week. (There is still time to sign up!) I think it will be a great way to connect with friends from all over the world. We should have our first book selected by June 13th and then we'll really kick it off! If you're interested, you can check it out on Goodreads and request to join our group by clicking here.

3. Glasses. I'm not sure if these are fabulous, but I picked up my new prescription glasses today. I thought as you aged you became far-sighted, but not me. I'm near-sighted. (Aim to be different, right?) Anyways...below is is the obligatory new glasses selfie!



4. Splurge Meal. So I have kids who at one end of the spectrum are really happy with some chicken nuggets. At the other end of the spectrum, they really enjoy a nice meal out. But, as most parents would agree, we do not like to pay for a "nice" meal out with them all the time and therefore, we dine mainly in the middle of the spectrum as a family. Last night we decided to take the kids to Beato again (Yes, they'd been there a few weeks back for a work dinner with some friends of ours) and my kids were little steak-eating fiends. And little steak-eating critics - as they discussed the taste and textural difference between a NY strip, a tenderloin and a sirloin. I have to say, because they were so appreciative, it took much of the sting out of the bill at the end of the meal. And they did truly enjoy the dinner...


5. Purging and Packing. Oh, it was a good week of throwing crap away and getting our lives sorted and giving stuff to charity. And then a full week of having packers at the house and finally watching the container being loaded today. I'm glad it's done. We'll see our stuff in Poland. (**fingers crossed**)


That's all I've got this week. If you need us, we'll be living out of our suitcases over at the Wedgewood. (It's really not that bad over there...and the kids really like the double chocolate chip cookies on the breakfast buffet.)



No comments:

Post a Comment