Friday, February 7, 2014

Thai Cooking Class...

Thursday was my Thai cooking class over at B.I.G. As always, it was a good class...I always learn something new. This time, I really was only interested in the Pad That recipe, but we learned 3 additional dishes: Classic Tom Yum Goong, Green Curry Chicken, and fish cakes. It was a very full day since we had four dishes to complete...but, Trang and Susan went with me - so it was fun-filled.

We started the day with the Thai Green Curry Chicken. I'll admit...I'm not a fan of any curries. It's just not for me. And this dish took a while...make the curry paste and then lots of reducing and simmer and stirring...Yeah, I say just order when you're out at a restaurant - much easier. But, it was interesting to be exposed to some new ingredients - like galangal (that funky root veggie in the upper right corner) and kefir limes (the bumpy lime in the upper left corner).

Thai Green Curry Chicken

Fish cakes were next. We used fresh fish paste in these and red curry paste. I found them to be kind of rubbery...once again, not a big fan. But, I have never tried fish cakes prior to this class...so maybe I need to acquire the taste for these.
Fish cakes served with pickled cucumbers


Pad Thai was the third dish of the day - and I LOVED it! So yummy, so easy! Just delicious!

Trang, my rockin' cooking partner and Pad Thai

Finally, we made Tom Yum Goong...a classic Thai soup. We made ours with prawns and calamari...and once again, I was not a big fan.




Maybe I'm just not cut out for Thai food...I really only liked the Pad Thai, but as always, the class was fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment