Sunday, April 20, 2014

The Easter Ambulance...

Yeah, I really didn't want to go to the Ritz-Carlton for Easter brunch yesterday...I mean, who wanted gourmet cheeses, prime rib and Yorkshire pudding, a chocolate fountain and free flow champagne? Seriously overrated. I much prefer a day of "firsts." My first time seeing my husband pass out in pain, my very first ambulance ride, my first trip to Prince Court Medical Center...oooh, Happy Easter. Screw the free flow!

Yes, Blaine ruptured his patella yesterday...walking. (We seriously need to come up with a better story than this...) He was walking by the clubhouse in our development and went down. Lucky for him, two neighbors (who we don't know) managed to get him up and over to our house. He passed out briefly from the pain while I sent the kiddos to grab Shannon and figure out what the hell we need to do to get an ambulance in this country. (999 - in case you were unaware - like me.) Then, you call the ambulance and they won't come because it's not an emergency...so they give you the number to a private ambulance company. I called them...yup, they'll come, but not until I agree to pay 230rm. DUDE! No problem...send the freakin' ambulance.

The ambulance and Blaine in the ambulance
(Thanks Shannon for snapping the ambulance pic)
 
So the ambulance arrives and Shannon takes my kiddos (Thank you Shannon and Jim!) and I get to ride in the back! We get to the hospital and get him situated in the emergency room...x-rays. ER doc takes a look and thinks maybe the patella is just dislocated. They give him some crazy drugs which just about knock him out and try a manual manipulation of the knee. Nope...doesn't work. Wait some more...MRI time. Yup, patella rupture. Fill out the paperwork to get him a room. Up to his room and settled.
Blaine in the ER

Shannon comes to get me (once again, thank you!) and drives me home so I can grab my car,  pack a bag and take the kids back to see Blaine. Shannon then tells me that Grayson was vomiting after brunch. (Yes, when it rains, it pours. But, thankfully, it was strictly a case of too tired, too much chocolate.) We go back and quickly see Blaine and give hugs and kisses. The boys were very nervous that it was something more serious...so it was good they got to see him.

All the kids at Easter Brunch

The orthopedic surgeon has literally just left (I was blogging as he came in). His name is Dr. Badrul. He will be doing surgery on Blaine this afternoon around 4 p.m. It's a complete tear of the tendon...which may have been caused by Blaine's fall from the pool a few months back. (That's at least a little better story than "I was walking...") No golf for a while, but should have a fine recovery.

A big thanks to the neighbors (I'm sorry I don't know your name) that helped get Blaine to the house and to the Stannards for taking my kiddos to brunch and watching them until I could get home. Your friends become your family when you're abroad...and this was a prime example of having good friends that you can count on!

So...hanging out at the hospital today. Send some good thoughts his way...he's already sick of the hospital...so hopefully, we can spring him tomorrow or the next day.

1 comment:

  1. yuck yuck yuck. Hope the recovery is smooth for everyone involved!

    ReplyDelete