Sunday, April 13, 2014

27 Things You'll Miss About America When You're Abroad...

So this article ("27 Things You'll Miss About America When You're Abroad") popped up in my Facebook newsfeed this morning (here's a link to it). Of course, I had to read it and see if it matches up with my list of things I miss. I had to laugh because a few of my new favourite "missing" things made the list! Here are some of mine that made the Huff Post article...

1. Ice. When you got out to a restaurant, ice in your glass is at a premium. I've noticed that most restaurants don't have ice machines and receive bagged ice deliveries each morning. 9 times out of 10 my kids don't get any ice in their cups...I'm assuming because they're kids and I get a few cubes.



2. Girl Scout Cookies. Yup, none of those here in Malaysia. I have a friend who is starting a brand new Daisy troop in KL. Of course, I had to ask about cookies. I was told that Girl Scout cookies aren't sold internationally. BUMMER! I'm hoping some member of my family or a friend stashed a box away for me when I return home this summer.

3. Drive-Thrus. Yes, they are very few and far between here. I think I went through one drive-thru Starbuck's in Penang a few months back when we were visiting. Other than that, I can't recall using one. My OBX friends, let me tell you that there is most definitely not a Brew Thru here...

4. Efficient and Friendly Customer Service. It does exist here. But, it is seriously lacking.

5. WTF is a kilometre? Hahaha! This has taken me a while. I remember being taught about the metric system in the 2nd grade and Mrs. Ackley assured us that the WHOLE WORLD would be using the metric system within a few years. Nope, didn't happen. I can now pretty easily convert miles to kilometres (thanks to running 5ks and 10ks) and I can do the kilos to pounds, but forget Celsius to Fahrenheit. All I'll tell you is that it's FREAKIN' hot in Malaysia...no matter what scale you're using.

6. Wearing Sweats In Public. I did it all the time in the States. Here, I feel like it's a small fashion show each day. People are dressed really fabulously or really awful...there's no middle. And nobody's rockin' the sweatpants. Of course, that could be because it's so flippin' hot. Come the end of June when I return home, I'm looking forward to that first cool night where I can put on my sweats and a hoodie.

7. Free Refills. As I've stated before I've been known to dine at an American chain restaurant here just for the free refills on Coke Light. Chili's and TGIFriday's...I'm glad that free refills is an international thing at your restaurants.

8. Diet Coke. Coke Light...just not the same. Just. Not. The. Same.



Happy Monday Peeps! Please go drink a big, ice-filled Diet Coke from your local McDonald's Drive-Thru (because we all know they have the best fountain Diet Coke) and eat a couple of Samoas for me!

1 comment:

  1. Ice is totally true! Ice cream was also an issue when I lived in Uzbekistan because only pregnant women were allowed to eat it during the fall & winter. I also missed straight up french fries and Heinz ketchup.

    ReplyDelete