Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Ironman Putrajaya 70.3

So Sunday was Ironman Putrajaya 70.3. I teamed this race with Susan (on the bike) and Lorna (on the run) and me - on the swim. WHAT?! Yes, I said swim...can you freakin' believe it? I actually volunteered to swim 1.2 miles in a lake...not a pool...a lake.

Now, my other team members are complete rock stars...very fast. Me...not so much. I knew I could do the distance, make my time cut-off, no issues. But, speedy...nope. Can't count on me for that. And, I'll say I had a good case of nerves beforehand, as I haven't done this distance since my Ironman 70.3 (which was 4 1/2 years ago). Yeah, I've done a couple Olympic distances since then - which is damn close, but not this distance and not in a lake.

So, Sunday morning came and at the ass crack of dawn, my fabulous Sherpa (who now would like everyone to know that he is an "international Sherpa") and my support crew, along with Susan, headed up to Putrajaya.

Support Crew and Sherpa
 
I was thankful to be swimming today as it was going to be a scorcher, but I was not thankful that teams are the last ones in the water. (Yup...big fear of mine is being last out of the water.) Anyways, after sending the support crew off with cowbells in hand, I grabbed a seat on the lawn to watch the pros go off...only to realize that we would be treading water at the start of the swim. (That's a first for me - I've always had a beach start.) Okay...deep breath. I've got this. Then, we head down to the dock to jump in the water and who's swimming with the teams...Craig Alexander. So we do a little group photo and we hop in!
 
 
Once I was in the water, the nerves melted away. After a few initial kicks by some people around me - the group thinned out and I had some space and I just kept moving. My pace was good, my breathing was good, I even heard my support crew and cowbells about mid-way through the race. I passed a few people from the waves in front of me...which meant I wasn't going to be last out of the water! WOOT! WOOT! All was well.
 
My time was my time...it was right where I thought I'd be and I passed my chip off to Susan, who went and killed it on the bike. It was hot! So hot! I really felt bad for bikers and runners on Sunday, but then again...it is Malaysia. You know what you're signing up for.
 
Susan on the bike


 
Susan came back and handed the chip off to Lorna...who went and made quick work of her 13.1 miles. It can not have been easy on the asphalt with the heat and humidity...no matter how conditioned you are.
 
Lorna on the run
 
Lorna was pretty sure she passed our competition at the 7K marker...which meant we would receive first place female team! Say what!?!?! Crazy! But, she was right...
 
Team FitMommas

 
 So...I have an amazing Ironman Putrajaya 70.3 First Place Female Team trophy in my possession! A big round of thanks to my fabulous partners - who just killed it out there with the heat and humidity! I had the easy job that day - for sure!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment