Thursday, April 24, 2014

Fab 5 Friday...No! Definitely Not This Week...

So, it's been a rough week at our house. With Blaine's knee, well, let's just say the week has sucked. But, he's home and we're getting by...and we'd much rather have him home than in the hospital.

So I'm ditching Fab 5 Friday this week for "5 Things I've Learned This Week..."

1. I hate driving downtown. I don't know how people do it each and every day. The traffic sucks. I dropped more "F-Bombs" in 10k than I do in the average day. (And I curse a LOT!) So glad the daily hospital trips are over.

2. Friends are invaluable. Yes, I know this, but a crisis makes it even clearer. I don't know what we would've done without our friends this week. Shannon, who came to help on Sunday when I sent the boys running to get her and then proceeded to take my kids for the rest of the day. The offers of playdates and trips to the grocery store for us. Texts and phone calls and messages. Tips and tricks that people have sent us. (Yes, Alissa, we're using the office chair as a wheelchair.) These all have meant a lot. Blaine has a long road  ahead of him - with the hardest being the next 2-3 weeks - so I may still need to reach out to some of you and take you up on your kind offers of help. When you're abroad, you can never have enough support.
 
3. I'm a terrible nurse. When you come down in the morning and ask your husband, "What are your goals today?" Well, let's just say I make a better coach. But, we do have a plan to get him up and walking every few hours and the doctor warned him that's it's going to be uncomfortable and sometimes we'll just have to power through. Power through...that's my middle name. We've got this!

4. When I'm stressed, I crank out some good writing. I was behind on my next article for WOD Talk. Oh, let's be honest...I hadn't even started it. So...Monday, while hanging out with Blaine, I started my next piece. Within 15 minutes I'd finished it. And, I really liked it. It was easy to write. Probably because it was so personal to me. And, while I found the writing easy, it was very hard for me to submit it. I probably waited a good 3-4 hours before submitting it. Thankfully, Heather emailed me back that she loved it! Hopefully, it will hit the site soon. I'll be sure to share when it does. And, I've got my topic for this week - Crossfit and Ironman Putrajaya. And, as soon as I can get some time to interview Jen and Madhu - they'll be the subject of an article, along with a few of the Crossfitters I've reached out to that are heading to Regionals. I've got lots to write about!
 
5. Family is the best. The kids have been awesome this week. They were very well-behaved for our neighbors on Sunday. They came to the hospital to visit Blaine several times. They were soooooo excited when he came home Wednesday evening. They both want to help...get water, grab the phone, learn how to lift his leg so it doesn't hurt. Thank you boys!
Homework at the hospital
 
 
Here's to a better week next week! Hoping we'll have some small things to celebrate next Friday!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment