Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Ted Talks...

After my ranting post last week regarding the art teacher, I reached out to a few friends. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't completely crazy in thinking that there is no way in hell that my 5th grader should be crying over art. I wanted to make sure I wasn't over reacting (which, I will admit that I can do sometimes). I wanted to check that my educational perspective wasn't so antiquated in thinking this was unacceptable that perhaps I needed some retooling myself. And, thankfully, these people confirmed that I wasn't completely off my rocker. In fact, one of them even went as far as to help me write the most fantastic passive-agressive email to the teacher - which made me feel 110% better! (I, of course, deleted and did not send said email. You know...because I'm an adult.)

And, several people reached out to me. One of them sent me a link to a Ted Talk by Brene Brown and it is just amazing! I'm sure many of you know Brene Brown and probably have watched her Ted Talks, but I had not until last week. If you haven't watched them...I'm here to encourage you to take two 20 minute chunks of your time and watch these two Ted Talks. The first one is about: The Power of Vulnerability. And here's the link:


The second one (which is the one that was sent to me) is about: Listening to Shame. And here's that one:


I hope you enjoy both of these as much as I did. I hope you can apply what she talks about in some way to your own life. I know as a parent, I took a little something from each of them...and truly believe everyone can.

No comments:

Post a Comment