Thursday, August 20, 2015

Appendix 2 - Vehicles and Driving...

So, our new school hands out to new parents a bound spiral publication which is chock full of awesome information - everything from doctors who speak English to the name of a place where you can go wakeboarding to someone who can teach you how to quilt - should you so desire. It's very comprehensive (and much appreciated).


Last night I started glancing through it to actually see what all was in it. And of course, there was a section...in fact, an entire 4 page appendix, entitled: Vehicles and Driving.

Driving is always an interesting topic among those of us living abroad. Do you drive? Do you have a driver? How were the drivers where you were last living? What side of the road did you drive on?

Now, I'll be honest that the driving in Kuala Lumpur drove me absolutely insane. There are many blogs where I ranted against the driving skills of those people living in Malaysia. I tried to drive as little as possible. (I believe my two year old Myvi had less than 6000km when I left in June.) And, I was looking forward to driving here in Poland. During our short time here in April, things looked much calmer...although I will say that at the time I was being driven by some Polish taxi driver and a very nice real estate agent - so I didn't pay that much attention.

This week, I've started venturing out in my own car...a Chevy Opel - standard. (Yes, I do remember how to drive a stick shift. And, I'm very thankful that my dad taught me this skill and that my very first car was a Dodge Neon standard. Everyone should learn how to drive a standard. Everyone!)

Anyways, I was reading the "Vehicles and Driving" section in the newcomers book last night - just to make sure there wasn't anything I was missing. For example, I didn't know that my headlights need to be on at all times when driving. Whoops! Missed that earlier this week. Or, that buses leaving a bus stop have the right of way. (They're bigger than me - so I've always adhered to this rule.)

But, there were some GREAT things in this appendix that I'd like to share with you - some just for giggles, others in case you happen to be driving in this great country. Oh, who am I kidding? Mainly for giggles.

Please keep in mind that all things in bold are written as they exactly appear in the booklet!

Watch out for horse drawn vehicles, especially during harvest months. Now, I've yet to see a horse-drawn vehicle, but you can be damn sure that I will be on the lookout for them!

Sadly, a large proportion of drivers in Poland drive very badly and at excessively fast speeds. Really? I'm leaving one country with horrific drivers, only to come to another?! What are the chances? A little research has informed me that Poland has one of the highest rates of road death in Europe and is towards the top of the list globally. (Malaysia still beats Poland in number of road deaths - #17 in the world. Way to crack the Top 20 Malaysia!) In fact, I even found a YouTube series entitled "Bad Drivers of Poland." Next time we move, screw researching what school my children will attend or where we're going to live...I'm checking out the country's driving safety record.

Be careful to look out for unlit bicycles, wandering drunks, and horse-drawn wagons in country areas. I have to say I read this one and was rather pleased to know that the parents at school are encouraged to look out for wandering drunks. (Not that I've ever been known to have too much to drink...)

NOTE: Prostitutes can often be seen along Polish highways, waiting in lay by parking or in the most isolated wooded locations. Don't mistake these women for hitch-hikers. Just all around good information to have! (I made sure Blaine read this section - twice!)

There are rules against using your horn in Poland, so try to avoid it at all times - it's actually illegal. Crap! I'm moving from the land of constant horn use to one where it's illegal! This may be a hard habit to break! Thankfully, no where did I read that cursing was not allowed. Let the expletives fly!

So I am thankful that I spent the last two years honing my defensive driving skills in Malaysia. And, I hope this little informational blog on Polish driving has brought a smile to your face because I certainly was chuckling last night as I read all these little tidbits.

Fab 5 comes at you tomorrow! I hope you're all having a great week - wherever you are!


No comments:

Post a Comment