Monday, December 22, 2014

Siem Reap, Cambodia...

This post is a little late in coming, but I finally downloaded the pictures off my camera and I figured I'd take the time on this rainy morning to blog a little...

First off, I L-O-V-E-D Siem Reap! LOVED! I loved the people, I loved the town, I loved everything about it...so much so that I'm going back in February with friends who are coming to visit!

We stayed at the Golden Temple Hotel...which was fantastic. Good service, nice rooms, great pool...no complaints!

 
 
We hit the ground running when we arrived in Siem Reap and immediately headed off on a mini temple tour. The temples around Siem Reap are amazing...just amazing. Even the kids - who are not easily impressed unless it is lit up in neon and has a WiFi connection - enjoyed the temples.
 
Angkor Wat
You can read more about Angkor Wat by clicking here!
 




 
Ta Prohm
You can read about Ta Prohm by clicking here!


 
Bayon
You can read about Bayon by clicking here.



 
Lots of people love Ta Prohm because of the trees and how they are affecting the temple, but I was more partial to Bayon with the immense faces...
 
Saturday morning had us heading out on a 4 hour quad tour through some of the smaller villages surrounding Siem Reap. Our tuk-tuk driver and guide for the day, Hong, picked us up at 6:30 a.m. Doing this tour gives you a much better perspective on what life is like outside of "town." Rice fields galore. Water buffalo blocking the "roads." Little children running around naked. Lots of poverty. I was proud of our kids who did take note of everything they were seeing and it led to some good conversations. Life is very different outside of the "expat bubble" we live in most of the time. We did have fun giving high fives and candy to the kids as we passed by them...the smiles were priceless.
 


 
Saturday afternoon had us heading back into Siem Reap for lunch and foot massages - even the damn fish one! I couldn't take the fish one for long - too weird! But, it was definitely a new experience.
 


Saturday evening had us dining on Cambodian bbq with some KL friends - Brandie and Mike and their kiddos. In addition to beef and pork, some kangaroo was cooked up as well!

 
Sunday morning had us up and at it early again as we were all doing the Family 3K at Angkor Wat while many of our friends from KL were doing the 10K or half marathon. There is something special about being out at the temple as the sun is rising...
 
 
The kids had fun "racing" and I even enjoyed the 3K run - which I haven't been able to say in a while. (It may be time to bring running back into the workout mix of CrossFit and golf.) And Blaine was able to walk the race with no pain since his injury. Wins for everyone!
 
So there you have it...5 days filled with temples, tuk-tuks, cheap beer, massages, quads, running, friends and lots of smiles!
 
I can't wait to do it again!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment