Monday, December 15, 2014

Rain, Rain, Go Away...

Well, I had every intention today of blogging about our trip to Cambodia while I sat poolside and soaked up some sunshine. BUT, it is raining and I forgot my camera cord which means all of my pictures are sitting on the SD card and I can't get to them.

But, I will not be stopped from blogging...today I'll share a little Christmas spirit.

Sometimes it's not easy to find your Christmas spirit in the tropics if you've spent your entire life celebrating Christmas where it's cold and often snowy. (Now please...don't get me wrong. I don't miss the cold and snow...but there is something very "holidayish" about it at Christmas time.)

As Blaine and I drove up to Penang yesterday we talked about how we were lacking some of the "spirit" this year. We did not bake for our friends as I was busy at school and he has been busy with work. There was not a ton of Christmas shopping as the boys asked for only a few things and MONEY! (Yup, they're growing up - money and big ticket items!) Blaine and I didn't buy presents for each other as we have said we would rather pick up art or some other meaningful item on our travels - which this Christmas will take us to Phuket.

But, we are surrounded by Christmas here in Malaysia. And the spirit seems to come and go. For me it is the simple things...a Christmas carol can immediately put me in the holiday spirit. A cocktail with friends on a Friday night while Christmas tunes play and everyone shares a few good laughs. Watching "Home Alone" and "Elf" with my kiddos while we snuggle under blankets with the air conditioner cranked up. A beautifully decorated tree.

And, we have seen some beautiful and creative Christmas tree displays this year...many of them located across the street at Publika. Not all of them am I a fan of, but I do admire the artistic intent...

In the airport in Siem Reap

At Publika...recycled pallets with a blue light beneath it

This one has a train track with toys on the outside and kids can play with toys inside of it

Made of paper stars...

Made of white paper doves

Local grasses

Cardboard recycled with a yellow light

Well, I'm not sure what this is...maybe some grumpy Christmas elves?!

Definitely not my fave...

Sometimes you just need to seek out your Christmas spirit...I hope you all find yours this holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment