Thursday, December 11, 2014

I'm Baaaacccckkkkk...

Yes, today is my official last day of teaching! Woohoo! (Yeah, the kids still have school next week, but this girl had already booked a trip with her husband for next week - so the school made it work!) Anyways, I've given exams, graded exams, written comments, and I think I've finished almost everything on my to do list - so I'm outta here!

So...reflecting back on the last few weeks...Here's what I've learned:

1. Teaching is still part of who I am. Once a teacher, always a teacher. I've had some different jobs since I last taught in the traditional classroom, but I've always been teaching in some way, shape or form. The things I used to do as a teacher, they still work today. The skills I once had, still apply today. It was good to put them to use.

2.  BUT...I don't want to go back to teaching full-time. This was a great experience for me, but I do not want to go back to the traditional classroom everyday. I like my life as a mom, housewife, taxi driver, CrossFitter, golfer, cook, baker...you know, the day-to-day stuff I was doing. I'm still not sure I'm totally fulfilled on a professional level, but teaching isn't the answer. I'll continue to search...

3. Kids are still kids. I taught some really great kids these past few weeks...really great. And that part was super enjoyable. There were a few who made me want to drink, but 98% of them were awesome.

4. Be nice to your kids' teachers. You know what...our administration...well, let's just say it leaves a lot to be desired at times. (Yes, that's my politically correct statement and we'll leave it at that!) But, we have some really great teachers at our school who are working hard not to let the admin crap weigh them down. Give those teachers the props they deserve because as someone who has been on "the inside" I can tell you they are doing good work.

5. My husband and kids rock. Yup, they do! These past 7 weeks have required some juggling and additional responsibilities for them and they have been troopers! So thanks for letting me get this out of my system!

Anyways...back to blogging and figuring out what I want to do with my life!! I'll try to update next week about our trip to Cambodia! It ROCKED!!

No comments:

Post a Comment