Sunday, June 15, 2014

Lojacks and Rainbow Looms...

Yeah, just had to put it up!

So...this morning I am at Kidzania with the kiddos. This is not my ideal place - it is loud with kids running around - but, I'm up in the little parents lounge with my laptop, a book, and a cup of coffee...so it is survivable. Plus, they (the kids) were just so damn excited that you couldn't help but smile.


So we've all got our lojacks on (and our black and white Rainbow Loom bracelets) and the kids are out having a blast!

And that brings me to the Rainbow Loom. WOW! This little arts and crafts device has taken over my children's lives. They are constantly making bracelets, charms, necklaces, anklets...hours are spent searching YouTube so they can learn new patterns and create new things. They have a list of rubberbands that they need to buy in the States because they can't get them here and planning to pack it in their carry-ons so they can make things when we fly home. 

I then got curious about this little thing and found out that the creator is a Malaysian immigrant to the States named, Cheong Choon Ng. What!? Yup, he's an engineer and was watching his daughters make rubberband bracelets and designed a prototype and then found a Chinese manufacturer to make it for him. As of September 2013, he had sold 1.2 million units. I can tell you it's many more since then as it didn't really come to the attention of my kiddos and their friends until about 6 weeks ago. 

My rainbow anklet and Caleb creating something new

So, I believe Malaysia should be really proud of Cheong. He's got my kids off of their electronics and actually making things - and then even giving these things to friends! What? Creating stuff and then sharing? It can really happen!

Time for me to make my packing list...afterall, I've only got 3 DAYS!!!! Like you didn't know that!

No comments:

Post a Comment