Thursday, October 9, 2014

Fab 5 Friday...A Day Early...

It's that time of the week again...Fab 5 Friday time! I'm bringing it to you on a Thursday as things are going to be changing around the Blackburn house...and you'll see why when you read today's blog!

1. Club Med. Club Med gets a huge shoutout for our long weekend away last week. It was a nice weekend with our kids and with neighborhood friends. Hanging by the pool, reading, going to the spa, kids doing the kids club thing...just relaxing.







2. Hong Kong Guide. So...it all worked out. I found a guide for Hong Kong and she sounds ideal - mother of two who just seemed to get it when I said my boys were not into mounds and mounds of historical info...just give us the basics and keep us rolling along. I'll let you know how she works out!

3. Betty's Midwest Cafe. I had my first trip to Betty's Midwest Cafe this week when I had lunch with a friend on Tuesday. And yes, it is a little taste of the Midwest set right down here in KL. The owners once lived in Des Moines and the menu included corn dogs, meatloaf, pulled pork, juicy Lucy's, pork chops, and macaroni and cheese. And, as always, lunch convo was great .I always feel like I'm on the same wavelength with this friend...kids at similar ages, from the Midwest, husbands not working in oil and gas...it just seems to click.

4. Perseverance. This goes to Caleb this week. He had to do a presentation on a current event, and, as always, we told him to pick something that interests him. He chose Derek Jeter's retirement - apropos for my sports loving child. But, as he sat down to work on the project with guidance from his parents...we could see the frustration. He wasn't sure where to go with it and we didn't have a lot of info on the project - so we were leading him where we thought he should take it. Finally, we just let it drop for the night. All of us were grouchy and tears were starting to well up in his eyes. He went to school the next day and listened to a few presentations and came back with a clear idea of what he wanted to do and the direction he wanted to take it. With little help from us, he put together a pretty good current event presentation...putting aside the negative feelings from the start of the project and coming out happy at the end.

5. Teaching. Yes, here's the big news. I've accepted a long-term sub position for a maternity leave. So, for the next 8 weeks I'll be back in the land of the working, back teaching kiddos, back in the classroom. I'm anxious and excited all at the same time. It will be challenging, yet, fun. And, in the end, it will probably help me decide if I truly want to go back to teaching or if that's something that will remain a part of my past, Either way, for the next 8 weeks I will be putting my heart and soul back into the classroom!

So there you have it. I may take a break from blogging for the next 8 weeks depending on the work load at school...or at the very least, it may be a bit more sporadic. Enjoy the upcoming weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment