Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Farewell KL...

I still can't believe I'm writing this...that we're actually leaving Kuala Lumpur. I thought we'd be here at least another year, but Cargill has different plans for us.

Now, I know I haven't been at this ex-pat thing long...two years. And, I've listened to a lot of people complain about KL...and I've definitely had my whiny days. But, I truly loved it here! Truly!

So for my final blog from KL...I'm not even going to dwell on the things that drove me crazy. I'm leaving on a strictly positive note...nothing, but love. So here it is folks...all the things that I can possibly think of that I loved about our time here. Big and small. In no particular order. And I'm sure I'll forget a lot...but it will give you an idea.

Things To Love About Our Time in Kuala Lumpur...

  • Our friends. We made so many...too many to list. And they shared in many of the great memories we will take with us. And helped us when we needed it. There are no words.You will be missed.  
  • Easy travel. Oh, the places we have been...Bali, Phuket, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Seoul, Australia, Cambodia...Places I only dreamed of visiting. And they are amazing...
  • Gold Class Movies. Yes, this is a completely silly thing to love about KL. But, love it I do! Big comfy recliners with pillows and blankets. There is no better way to watch a movie.
  • Inexpensive manicures, pedicures, and massages. Whoa! I have been spoiled the last two years by these little indulgences. Very spoiled...
  • The weather. Yes, it's hot and humid...but it's hot and humid year round. No snow. No boots. No coats. I will miss swimming on Christmas Day. I will miss wearing my flipflops year round. I will miss 80 degrees Fahrenheit at 7 a.m. - no matter what the date on the calendar reads.
  • The food. KL has fantastic food - from all over the world. We were fortunate to be able to enjoy so much great cuisine while here...curry puffs, ayam goreng, Korean BBQ, dim sum, chicken vindaloo...the list could go on for pages. 
  • What it has given my children. The experience of living here in KL has just made my children grow by leaps and bounds. I love listening to them talk to me about their friends from around the world or a service project they are working on at school. 
  • Miss Elizabeth. We can't forget about our helper. She took such good care of our family...which afforded us lots of other things - like weekend trips away for Blaine and me and time for me to write uninterrupted. I think time is the most precious commodity she gave us. I'm so happy that she will be working for Cari and Eric...I know they will love her as much as we do.
  • CrossFit Vidatha. I don't know what to say about this place except that if I hadn't come to KL, I wouldn't have started CrossFit. I wasn't a CrossFit hater in the U.S., I just had a gym where I was happy. So thank you Vidatha peeps...
  • San Francisco Coffee. Now, in all honesty...the coffee here is average. You're not going to write home about the wonderfulness of the cup o' joe you drink here. But, I've probably visited San Fran Coffee 4 days per week for the last two years. I've spent endless hours here with my laptop banging out blogs, articles and emails. After the first week, their staff has always greeted me by name...and that's why I loved it there.
I could keep writing, but as I look at this list...most of it comes down to people. The friends you make, the people you interact with on a daily basis, the men and women teaching your children. People are what makes a place memorable. So thank you Kuala Lumpur for all of the people you brought into my life...and all of the memories I will take with me.



No comments:

Post a Comment